The Science Department at Oklahoma State University – Oklahoma City is a community of faculty, staff and students dedicated to provide transfer courses in the areas of Astronomy, Chemistry, Geology, Life Sciences, Physics and Meteorology. The department offer both majors and non-majors with a strong scientific foundation that is appropriate to their professional goals and with the knowledge and skills required to become a contributing member of society. Our small class size fosters greater opportunities for instructor-student interaction that facilitate the acquisition of scientific skills.
In support of its mission, the Science Department is committed to provide leading-edge instruction for the development of the following skills:
- Understanding the contributions made to modern society by scientists
- Identifying questions and concepts that guide scientific investigations
- Designing and conducting scientific investigations
- Using technology and mathematics to improve investigations and communications
- Formulating and revising scientific explanations and models using logic and evidence
- Recognizing and analyzing alternative explanations and models
- Communicating and defending a scientific argument
- Understanding about scientific inquiry
- Developing appropriate laboratory and safety techniques
For more information contact:
Evan Burkala, Ph.D.
Department Head, Science