Skip Navigation
Oklahoma City - An OSU Degree in OKC.

Coursework Required for Your Major FAQs

Your enrollment does affect your eligibility for federal financial aid.

Federal regulations require you to be in an eligible certificate, associate or bachelor's degree to receive financial aid at Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City, but the courses you take must also be required for the program. Your enrollment status for financial aid purposes will be based only on the coursework that counts towards your degree (grants, loans, and Federal Work-Study). 

How can I determine which courses will count?

Who is my Academic Advisor?

How will I know if Financial Aid has an issue with my schedule?

What can I do if my classes do not count?

Will financial aid pay for courses that do not count?

What about electives, developmental courses, and others?

Will my prerequisite course count?

How can I inform the Financial Aid Office about course substitutions that are not counting as courses required for my major?

I need courses for admissions to a program, how does that work?

Am I still able to take courses not required for my degree?

Will courses count if I am taking them to transfer to a degree at another institution?

What if I change my schedule and add a required course?

How will changes to my schedule affect any refund already received?

Am I required to enroll as full-time to receive Federal financial aid?

Eligibility Examples

If you are Pell Grant eligible and enrolled in 12 credit hours, but only nine are required for your program, you will receive federal aid for only those nine eligible hours.

If you enroll in six credit hours, but only three are required for your program, you will not be eligible for the student loan. You must enroll in a minimum of six eligible hours for Federal Direct loans.

Prepare and register early to ensure your courses will be eligible for federal aid.