Admission and Retention
Guidelines for Admission to and Retention in the Associate Degree Cardiovascular Sonography Program and Enrollment in the Cardiovascular Sonography Program is dictated by the number of available clinical facilities in the community.
OSU-Oklahoma City is committed to providing educational opportunities and reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified students with disabilities based upon the documentation of a disability covered under Section 504 the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008.
Students with disabilities needing reasonable accommodations in their courses must register with and provide disability documentation to the Advisor to Students with Disabilities who has the authority to review, coordinate, and facilitate student accommodation needs. It is important to note that, in order to progress successfully through the cardiovascular sonography curriculum and function as a sonographer upon graduation, an individual must be able to perform certain physical and intellectual, and sensory abilities that include critical thinking, vocal, visual, auditory, dexterity and computer competency requirements. Academic requirements that are upheld and regarded as being essential to the program or course of instruction being pursued by a student with a disability or to any directly related licensing requirement are not regarded as discriminatory.
Therefore, in order to be considered for admission or to be retained in the program after admission, all applicants must possess:
- Sufficient visual acuity, such as is needed in the accurate preparation for the observation necessary for client assessment and sonography care.
- Sufficient auditory perception to receive verbal communication from clients and members of the health team and to assess health needs of people through the use of monitoring devices such as stethoscopes, IV infusion pumps, cardiac monitors, fire alarms, etc.
- Sufficient gross and fine motor coordination to respond promptly and to implement the skills required in meeting client and emerging clinical health care needs safely. These include but are not limited to transportation and manipulation of heavy equipment and performance of CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
- Sufficient communication and language skills (speech, comprehension, reading and writing) to interact with clients and the health care team and to communicate effectively, as may be necessary in client’s interest and safety.
- Sufficient intellectual functions and emotional stability to plan/implement proper patient care.
The OSU-OKC Diagnostic Medical Sonography–Adult Echocardiography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS)
6021 University Blvd, Suite 500
Ellicot City. MD 21043
|Oklahoma State University Oklahoma City|
|ANNUAL ATTRITION RATES:|
|ANNUAL RETENTION RATES:|
|ANNUAL JOB PLACEMENT RATES:|
|ANNUAL ADULT ECHOCARDIOGRAPHY CREDENTIAL SUCCESS RATE:|