Skip Navigation
Oklahoma City - An OSU Degree in OKC.

Frequently Asked Questions about Residency

Will my status automatically change after living in Oklahoma for one year?

No. It is the student’s responsibility to petition for re-classification once he or she has met the “Basic Definition of Resident Status”.

If I am a dependent student, how is my residency determined?

If a person is under the care, custody or support of a parent or legal guardian (claimed as a dependent on the parent/legal guardian's most recent Federal Income Tax Return), his or her state of residence will be generally considered that of the parent/guardian.

Unless residency has been established in another state, an individual who resided in Oklahoma at the time of graduation from an Oklahoma high school and resided in the state with a parent/legal guardian for at least two years prior to graduation from high school will generally be eligible for in-state status.

What are the general guidelines for in-state classification if I am an independent person responsible for my own care, custody and support (not claimed as a dependent on anyone else’s Federal Income Tax Return)?

An independent person may be eligible for in-state status at his or her next term of enrollment once he or she has lived in the state for at least a year, not primarily as a student (individuals attending school on more than a half-time basis are considered to be in the state on a temporary basis and not to establish domicile), can document that he or she has provided for his or her own care and support, and can satisfactorily prove that he or she has come to Oklahoma to establish domicile. Domicile is a person's true, fixed, permanent home or habitation. It is the place where he or she intends to remain and to which he or she expects to return. A person can have more than one residence, but only one domicile.

One of my parents lives out-of-state and the other lives in Oklahoma. What is my classification?

If you have a non-custodial parent (one who you normally don’t live with) who is a resident of Oklahoma, you may be classified as an in-state student once a petition and statement with supporting documentation of primary care, custody, and support are submitted by the parent residing in Oklahoma.

If my parents own property or a second home and pay Oklahoma state taxes, will I qualify for in-state tuition?

No. Resident status is based on the location of your permanent domicile. This is considered to be your fixed, permanent home and where you (or your parents) habitually reside. Since domicile has two components, residence and intent to remain indefinitely, a person can have more than one residence but only one domicile.

I have several close relatives who are Oklahoma residents. Can I reside with one of them and gain in-state status?

No. Your residency is that of your parents/legal guardian. To qualify for residency, you will still have to meet the “Basic Definition of Resident Status”. If you have extenuating circumstances and a family member (other than a parent) supports and claims you as a dependent for tax purposes and is an Oklahoma resident, he or she may petition on your behalf by providing supporting documentation in the Petition for In-state Status.

I am not a U.S. citizen but I have obtained permanent resident status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

Documented foreign nationals may be eligible for in-state status if they have been granted lawful permanent resident status by the USCIS and meet other requirements for in-state status as outlined above.

I am not a U.S. citizen but am a documented foreign national. Do I qualify to pay in-state tuition?

Documented foreign nationals with visas other than lawful permanent resident status are not eligible for in-state tuition as their stay is considered temporary. However, documented foreign nationals who are present with visas that allow full-time employment and can provide proof of having come to Oklahoma to practice a profession on a full-time basis, conduct a business full-time, or work on a full-time basis may be eligible for an out-of-state tuition waiver. Spouses and dependent children of these individuals may also qualify for out-of-state tuition waivers.

Can I qualify for in-state classification if I am an undocumented foreign national?

In accordance with Oklahoma House Bill 1804, students who cannot present OSU-OKC with valid documentation of U.S. citizenship or an immigration status permitting study at a U.S. institution but who have (1) graduated from a public or private high school in Oklahoma, and (2) resided in Oklahoma with a parent or legal guardian for at least two years prior to high school graduation, may be eligible for enrollment and an out-of-state tuition waiver if they file an Affidavit of Intent with OSU-OKC.

My petition for in-state tuition was approved. Can I lose my residency status?

Yes. If you establish residency in another state or if you are absent from Oklahoma for twelve months for purposes other than education. You will also lose your residency if OSU-OKC finds your resident status was granted on the basis of false or misleading information.