Sign Language Interpreters as an Accommodation
Tips for working with a Sign Language Interpreter:
- When addressing a student who is deaf/hard-of-hearing, speak directly to the student, not the interpreter. The interpreter is not part of the conversation and is not permitted to voice personal opinions or enter the conversation. The interpreter is required to interpret everything that is said; they do not screen information or leave things out at the speaker’s request.
- Interpreters function as a provider of support services, supplying communication/cultural facilitation. Interpreters do not function as tutors or note takers in class.
- Please provide the interpreter with a class schedule/outline, along with any handouts or specialized vocabulary related to the course.
- In some instances depending on length of class and/or class subject material, interpreters may work in teams. If the class is more than 1.5 hours, please plan 5-10 minute breaks for the interpreter if he/she is working without a team.
- Interpreters will wait a minimum of 15 minutes for a class less than 1.5 hours long and 30 minutes for class longer than 1.5 hours before leaving the assignment if the student has not shown or made prior contact that they will be arriving late.
- If you or the student need interpreting services outside of class time for educational reasons (such as office hour visits), the student or instructor should complete a Request for Interpreter form online at https://osuokc.edu/DeafStudentServices/requestinterpreter at least five (5) business days in advance of when the interpreter will be needed. Every effort will be made to fulfill an accommodation request made with less than five (5) business days' advance notice, however we cannot guarantee the accommodation will be available.
- https://osuokc.edu/DeafStudentServices/captioning for information on how to get your materials captioned.
If you have questions about sign language interpreters, please contact:
Jeanette Buttram, M.Ed., M.S., QA V/V
Student Center, Room 136B
900 N. Portland Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Fax: (405) 945-9127