Skip Navigation

Veterans' Services Frequently Asked Questions

We hear many of the same questions each day in the OSU-OKC Veterans’ Services Office. These are just some of the most common. This list is not all inclusive, so if you don’t see your question here, please feel free to call or email with any and all questions you may have!

I’m a new student, what do I need to do to use my GI Bill?

New VA students who would like to enroll in classes at OSU-OKC, and have never applied to use their education benefits in the past will need to fill out a VA form 22-1990, Application for VA Benefits: VA Benefits App

  • As a courtesy, the Veterans’ Services office will mail your application to the VA regional office

!!!REMEMBER!!! Provide any necessary documentation in support of your application, i.e. DD Form 214, Birth Certificate, etc.

What paperwork do I need to submit to use my GI Bill?

Once you have applied for your VA education benefits, please bring, email or fax a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

If you have a DD-214 please bring, email or fax a copy of your DD-214 (member-4) copy to our office.

Go to our Forms page, download and fill out a Request for Certification form for the applicable term (fall, spring, summer). Please bring, email or fax this form to our office.

*Note: you will need to fill out a Request for Certification form every term you elect to use your VA educational benefits.

How do I apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Applying for the Post 9/11 GI Bill can be accomplished by clicking here: Apply for GI Bill Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Launch VONAPP.

Once you have applied, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA stating how many months and what percentage of benefits you’re eligible to receive.

Once you receive this certificate from the VA, please bring it to the OSU-OKC Veterans’ Services Office or email it to

How does the monthly housing allowance work; how much is it?

Students who attend classes greater than part-time receive Basic Allowance for Housing or BAH. Currently, the full amount for OSU-OKC is $1,087.00 per month. BAH is paid based on the number of days the student was enrolled for the previous month. Example: student is enrolled full-time for the entire month of September, the BAH payment will be disbursed by the VA in early October directly to the student.

If you attend only online classes at OSU-OKC, you will receive 50% of the national average.

Also, BAH is tax free!

What do I need to do if I have transferred in from another school?

Students who have transferred from another college or university must fill out VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

Go to our Forms page, download and fill out the 22-1995. Please bring, email or fax a copy of the 22-1995 to our office.

I want to take a class at another school/I would like to take a class at OSU-OKC, but I’m enrolled at another school, what should I do?

Students wishing to attend classes at OSU-OKC that will be applied to a degree at another institution must provide a Parent School Letter stating that the courses will be accepted at the parent institution. The same applies if you are wishing to take a class at another school while you are presently enrolled at OSU-OKC. This form must be provided before the classes can be certified with the VA.

How can I transfer my Post 9/11 GI Bill?

First, determine if you’re eligible to transfer this benefit by clicking here: Post 911 Transfer.

Next, go to our Forms page, and download and fill out the 22-1990E. Please bring, email or fax a copy of the 22-1990E to our office.

Will I receive a book stipend? How much is it?

Yes, but only if you’re Post 9/11 (Ch. 33). The amount is prorated based on enrollment. The maximum you will receive is $1,000 per school year. This generally occurs on your first payment from the VA each semester.

What do I do if my schedule changes?

Students must inform the OSU-OKC Veterans’ Services office when a change in your schedule occurs. Changes to your schedule should be made through your advisor who will properly administer the appropriate paperwork. It is YOUR responsibility to notify us of:

  • Adds
  • Drops
  • Degree/major change

Any changes in enrollment status must be reported IMMEDIATELY! This will help prevent any DEBTS to you as the student!

For drops, it is also important to remember:

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11): If you dropped below full-time status or reduce your hours when less than full time for that session, you will also owe Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) money back.

All other chapters: you will be paid by the VA up until the date you dropped the class.

Am I eligible for financial aid as well as my GI Bill?

In some cases, students are eligible for Financial Aid also. Contact the OSU-OKC Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to obtain further information: Financial Aid

I have received a bill from the school, what is this for?

If you have a received a bill from OSU-OKC, make sure you have certified your classes with us. For Post 9/11 students, please ensure you have provided us with a copy of your COE.

As a courtesy, we will credit your bill for the amount we anticipate receiving from the VA, but only if we have your current COE.

Why have I received a letter from the VA stating tuition and fees weren’t charged to OSU-OKC?

We initially submit only credit hours to the VA to initiate your Monthly Housing Allowance and book stipend. Once the add/drop dates pass, we audit the charges on your account and submit your tuition and fees to the VA.

Are there any classes the VA will not pay for?

Yes. The VA will only pay for classes that fall within your degree requirements. Classes the VA will not pay for: online remedial classes, physical education classes, or previously failed classes in which the student stopped attending class or other derogatory reason as marked by the instructor.

Where can I access my military transcripts?

Click here: JST Transcripts

I am running out of Chapter 30 benefits. What can I do?

If you have active duty time after 9/11 you may qualify for an additional 12 months of Chapter 33. Please visit our office to find out if this is an option for you.

I am a National Guard member and HAVE deployed. Do I qualify for Chapter 33?

If you were on Title 32F or Title 10 orders in support of a contingency you do qualify.

See: chart for eligibility

Does OSU-OKC participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

No, at this time we are not active in the Yellow Program.

I am failing a class and it’s after the drop class deadline, what should I do?

You should continue to attend the remaining classes and take the final exam even if you think you will get an “F.” In order to not be required to repay tuition to the VA, your attendance must be through the last day of the class.

Does the VA have a website I can refer to?

Yes, click here: GI Bill

Does the VA cover my enrollment fees?

The VA will cover some miscellaneous fees such as records maintenance, recreation, lab and remedial fees. The VA WILL NOT cover your parking fee.

Will the VA cover my “out-of-state” tuition?

No, the VA WILL NOT cover out-of-state tuition. The VA will only pay for in-state tuition; the student is responsible for any other costs above and beyond.

Can I take CLEP tests?

Yes. Request via “Ask a Question” on the GI Bill website. It must be a required class on your degree:

  • Need a copy of your test results (upload attachment)
  • Copy of the receipt (upload attachment)
  • Written request for reimbursement (Who, what, when, where, etc.)

OSU-OKC Veterans' Services Office

Student Center, Room 132
900 N. Portland Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73107

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Phone: (405) 945-8692 / Fax: (405) 945-3277 /