Assessment of Student Learning
North Central Association- Higher Learning Commission Assessment Academy
Our Student Learning Project is to integrate college level learning objectives across the campus. We will look at the current assessment efforts in the general education and programmatic areas to see how the different units use assessment results to improve student learning. Our outcomes goals are to value assessment and use the results across campus to improve student learning and ensure student learning is a primary consideration in all campus decision making. In addition, the assessment processes will be appropriate to the instructional delivery methods. The short description of the project is General Education + Program Outcomes = Holistic Student Assessment.
- Assessment is valued and used across campus to improve student learning in consistent, structured, and campus-wide processes.
- Student Learning is the primary consideration in all decision making. Assessment results are linked to academic decision making, strategic planning, and budget development.
- Assessment processes are appropriate to instructional delivery methods.
- During the fall 2010 semester, we completed a draft student learning outcomes for the campus general education goals. These learning outcomes will be presented to the Campus Curriculum committee for adoption in the Spring 2011 semester.
- Continued Professional Development training in assessment, and provided one-on-one consultations to technical programs. Assessment Academy team gave presentations at faculty in-service on assessment of program outcomes. (Fall 2010)
- Academy team worked on a campus-wide general education assessment that will measure learning outcomes in critical thinking and writing. The goal is to assess 200 students who are in their final courses for their degree program (capstone courses). Preparations included working with a panel of experts from faculty in the general education curriculum course. A pilot for this assessment is planned for early January 2011. (Fall 2010)
- Continued to collect data and analyze it for feedback on student learning assessments to technical program faculty. Programmatic faculty submitted program objectives and now working on curriculum mapping for program courses; showing how the courses fit the program objectives. (Ongoing)
The Next Steps
- Conduct the campus-wide general education assessment during Spring 2011 semester. Review and analyze data from assessment. (Spring 2011)
- Continue to develop a plan for closing the feedback loop for analyzed data coming from the assessment activities of program faculty and campus wide learning outcomes project. (Ongoing)
- Continue Host faculty/staff development series on lessons learned/best practices on assessment of student learning. (Lead by faculty Spring 2011).
- Include specifics in 2010-11 strategic plans showing how additional resources will improve student learning across the campus.
- Continue to expand and refine the online community website for assessment. Explore options for entry-level computer assessment test. Plan to pilot this assessment test in Fall 2011.
- Explore possibility of modeling Human Services' occupational proficiency review in other programs.
- Review program objectives and revise course objectives and curriculum accordingly. (Ongoing)
- Assessment Academy team offering peer review and mentoring sessions for faculty and departments seeking assistance in completing learning outcomes and assessment strategies. (Ongoing)
- Programmatic faculty submits assessment measures and learning outcomes to Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for review and implementation. (Spring 2011)